I am not yet certified, but I do take advantage of every opportunity to get PDUs. They aren’t technically PDUs since I’m not certified yet, but I try to look for webinars and other opportunities that offer PDUs so I can take advantage of the educational opportunity. Why? Because I think that it’s a great way to learn more about current ideas in the field. I also try to take advantage of any opportunity to learn Child Life specific information since I am currently majoring in Psychology and not Child Life. I have a good understanding of children and psychology, but I’m not super strong in hospital related child life issues. PDUs and webinars can also be added to your portfolio to demonstrate other educational opportunities that you have participated in.
Check out the links below to find some Webinars;
- The National Child Life Conference is a great place to learn more about Child Life
- Dandle*Lion provides webinars focused on the care of infants in the NICU
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network focus on the impact of trauma on children. They also offer training in Psychological First Aid.
- American Society of Pediatrics
- Many hospitals also record their grand rounds, and these can be interesting insights into the hospital setting.